© 2005-2006 Huron Township Conservation Club All Rights Reserved
Huron Township Conservation Club | PO Box 514 Huron, OH 44839
Site designed, hosted, and maintained by pabodie design studios
FIREARMS SAFETY GUIDELINES
1) Treat every gun as if it was loaded. Every time a gun is handled, check to make sure that the gun is empty of shells or cartridges, always assume the gun has the ability to load itself.
2) Always point the muzzle in a safe direction. Nobody should ever see the muzzle end of your gun! An experienced hunter is always aware of the safe direction to point the gun's muzzle and would not hunt with anyone who does not do likewise.
3) Be sure of your target and beyond. A safe hunter would never take aim at a sound, movement or flash of color. A safe shot is taken at a positively identified target against a clear and safe background.
4) Never point a gun at anything you do not intend to shoot. Avoid all horseplay with a firearm.
5) Unload guns when not in use. Have the actions open to ensure that a gun is not loaded. Guns should be carried in cases to the shooting area.
6) Store guns and ammunition separately. Store in a place where the guns are out of reach of children or careless adults.
7) Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions. Only carry ammunition for the gun you are carrying and the game you are hunting.
8) Never climb a fence or tree, cross a log or a stream or jump a ditch with a loaded gun.
9) When target practicing, be sure your target and backstop is adequate. Do not shoot into rocks, inadequate backstops or into water.
10) Never use alcoholic beverages or drugs when handling a firearm. Alcohol or drugs should not be used before or during the hunt or when cleaning a gun. Always be fully alert and in control.
Content - End